1. Commitment to Privacy of Personal Information
- CIQS is committed to protecting your personal information. This policy (the “Policy”) describes our policies and practices with respect to the collection, use and disclosure of personal information.
- Our conduct regarding personal information is subject to the provisions of the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act and applicable provincial privacy legislation.
- Note that by using the CIQS website, and by submitting personal information to CIQS, you signify your consent to the collection, use and disclosure of personal information in accordance with the terms of this Policy.
- CIQS may at times modify, alter or update the terms of this Policy without advance notice to reflect developments in our practices, new technology or the law. Any changes to this Policy will be posted on the CIQS website. Our collection, use and disclosure of personal information will be governed by the version of this Policy in effect at the time.
2. Personal Information
- Personal information means information about an identifiable individual, and generally includes any information that can be used to distinguish, identify or contact a specific individual, but does not include the name, title or business address or telephone number of an employee of an organization.
- The personal information that CIQS generally collects and uses includes: name, home address, telephone number, facsimile number, e-mail address, business contact information, educational background, employment experience and references, membership with CIQS (including commencement date and status of membership), designation as Professional Quantity Surveyor, and banking or credit card information (e.g. card number, type and expiry date),.
- CIQS only collects the personal information required to fulfil the purposes set out in Section 4 of this Policy. For example, if you wish to receive our journal, The Construction Economist, we will need to know and store your contact information in order for us to send the journal to you.
- CIQS is responsible for all personal information under its custody or control, including information which it may transfer to a third party for processing.
- The Executive Director of CIQS or his/her designate has been appointed as the Privacy Officer for CIQS. The Privacy Officer may delegate day-to-day responsibility for administration of this Policy to other employees but the Privacy Officer remains accountable for the handling of personal information by CIQS.
- The Privacy Officer may be contacted at:
Canadian Institute of Quantity Surveyors
90 Nolan Court, Unit 19
Markham, ON L3R 4L9
Telephone: (905) 477-0008
Fax: (905) 477-6774
- CIQS is responsible for personal information sent to third parties, including provincial affiliates of CIQS and service providers that provide services to CIQS. Examples of such service providers include mailing houses and database management software suppliers. CIQS requires all such third parties to use the personal information only for the purposes for which it is provided to them, and to protect the privacy of the personal information in accordance with applicable privacy laws and in a manner that is consistent with this Policy
- Personal information collected by CIQS is stored in the CIQS database, the databases of provincial affiliates of CIQS, and in hard copy, which are secured.
- CIQS stores and processes personal information in Canada and in the United States.
4. Purposes for Collecting, Using and Disclosing Personal Information
- CIQS will identify the purposes for which personal information is collected, used or disclosed, at or before the time such information is collected.
- Subject to this Policy, CIQS collects, uses and discloses personal information for the following purposes:
- establishing and maintaining a bond between the organizations recognized by CIQS as members and representing such associations and their members in all matters of national or international concern or interest to the profession;
- promoting and advancing the professional status of Quantity Surveyors in Canada to the highest standards of competence and integrity so as to ensure the protection of the public in all matters concerning the profession;
- collaborating with other professions and organizations in the interest of the construction industry on national and international levels;
- establishing, maintaining and coordinating in conjunction with affiliated associations the highest standards of professional competence and integrity for all individual members through equivalent educational and professional development programs;
- granting memberships and maintaining membership lists and contact information;
- renewing memberships;
- sending out our journal, The Construction Economist;
- certifying qualified individuals as Professional Quantity Surveyors and Construction Estimator Certified professionals;
- informing members of courses, events and activities which may be of interest to them;
- processing registrations, including payment, for courses, events and activities;
- carrying out the organization and administration of courses, events and activities;
- complying with legal requirements;
- identifying and selecting information services and service providers to meet members’ needs or preferences;
- carrying out other activities authorized by CIQS National Council from time to time.
- CIQS collects and uses personal information only with your consent, except as otherwise permitted or required by law.
- Generally, CIQS will seek consent to use and disclose personal information at the same time it collects the information. However, CIQS may seek consent to use and disclose personal information after it has been collected, but before it is used or disclosed for a new purpose.
- In determining the appropriate form of consent, CIQS will take into account the sensitivity of the personal information and the reasonable expectations of individuals regarding the proposed use or disclosure of that information.
- When you provide your personal information to CIQS, such as your name, address, and telephone number, it will be available to our employees, provincial affiliates and contractors for the purposes described in this Policy.
- You have the option to not provide personal information to CIQS, and can choose to stop receiving communications from CIQS at any time.
- You may withdraw your consent to the use of personal information for any purpose at any time by written request to CIQS at the address above. CIQS will explain the consequences of withdrawing consent. Please allow us a reasonable time to process any request to withdraw consent.
6. Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention of Personal Information
- All personal information provided to CIQS will only be used for the purposes for which it was collected, as set out in this Policy, unless you have otherwise consented, or when required or permitted by law.
- Other than as outlined in this Policy and as permitted or required by law, CIQS will not at any time disclose your personal information without your consent.
- CIQS may disclose personal information to provincial affiliates of CIQS for the purposes set out in Section 4.
- CIQS retains personal information for the period of time required to fulfill the purpose for which it was collected and in order to meet any legal, regulatory and contractual requirements.
- CIQS does not routinely update personal information, unless it is necessary to fulfil the purposes for which the information was collected. However, CIQS seeks to ensure that the personal information it uses is accurate and up to date in order to minimize the possibility that inaccurate personal information is used to make a decision about you. Please assist us by advising us of any inaccuracies you notice so that we may make appropriate corrections.
8. Safeguarding Personal Information
- CIQS protects personal information against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use, modification and destruction by using appropriate security safeguards.
- Employees of CIQS with access to personal information are required to respect the confidentiality of that information pursuant to their employment agreement with CIQS.
- CIQS implements methods of protecting personal information that include limiting access to the information, restricting access to offices where information is held, and use of technological measures such as passwords.
- CIQS protects personal information that is disclosed to third parties through various measures. For more detail on third party requirements, see Section 3(d) of this Policy.
- An individual may request access to the information held about him or her at any time by contacting the Privacy Officer. CIQS will endeavour to respond to any such request as quickly as possible and, in any event, within the legally required time periods.
- Subject to certain exceptions and limitations prescribed by law, an individual will be given access to any personal information CIQS holds about the individual. CIQS will correct or amend personal information that is shown to be incomplete or inaccurate.
- When appropriate, the corrected or amended information will be transmitted to any third parties having access to the information in question.
- By using the CIQS website you agree to be bound by the terms of this Policy that are in effect at the time you access the website and by the terms and conditions of use of the CIQS website.
- SSL. Whenever you access secure areas of the CIQS website, the use of Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) server authentication is in place to protect unauthorized access to the information you provide. This means that the information cannot be intercepted while it is being transferred from your computer to ours. When you access one of these secure areas, you will notice our uniform resource locator (URL) in your web browser change in two ways:
- you will see a lock or key image in your browser;
- you will notice the normal “http://” change to “https://” (the “s” is for secure).
- Non-Personal Information. All public areas of the CIQS website can be accessed without providing any personal information to CIQS. However, the website will automatically collect non-personal information about website users’ Internet Protocol (IP) address, such as the date and time of your visit to the website, what type of internet browser was used, and the link that brought you to our website. The CIQS website collects this information to create statistics on website usage to help us improve our online services.
- Links. The CIQS website contains links to third party websites, such as those affiliated with CIQS. We provide these links to you as a convenience only; CIQS does not endorse or assume responsibility or liability for or control over these websites or their collection, use and disclosure of your personal information. If you choose to go to one of these websites from the CIQS website, the only information that will be transferred to the new website is that you were directed there from the CIQS website.
11. Questions and Complaints
- For further information about this Policy or the practices of CIQS related to personal information, or to make a complaint, please contact our Privacy Officer at the coordinates provided in Section 3 of this Policy.
- CIQS will investigate all complaints and take appropriate action as a result of such investigation.
Last Revised: December 7, 2015
OTT01: 6920285: v3