CIQS Job Bank:
CIQS Membership Assessor (virtual office)
CIQS is the premier professional association that sets the highest standard for construction and infrastructure economics in Canada. Designated Professional Quantity Surveyors (PQS) and Construction Estimator Certified (CEC) professionals counsel building owners, developers, designers and contractors at every stage of the design, procurement and construction process to help ensure a return on investment is delivered.
CIQS represents nearly 2,000 members from across Canada and abroad and was formed in 1959. CIQS has developed and administered their own education program and syllabus recognized by government, secondary institutions, and industry. We have recently re-organized our structure and are currently seeking a part-time Membership Assessor.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Process and assess all new membership applications and re-assessments
- Process and evaluate all Test of Professional Experience diary submissions; if required
- Work closely with the CIQS Membership Co-ordinator to follow up with Designation Holders re application for membership, diary reviews, examinations
- Participate in the interview process as required
- The Professional Quantity Surveyor designation is required (Retired suitable)
- Effective communicator
- Highly developed organizational skills
- Responds positively to timelines and deadlines
- Ability to work effectively with Membership Co-ordinator
- This is a part time position (estimate 10hrs/wk)
- Virtual office preferred
- CIQS staff to assist the Membership Assessor with their duties
CIQS is accepting proposals from individuals interested in this position.
Individual candidates responding to the advertisement are requested to provide the following:
- Resume outlining related experience and qualifications
- Cover letter
- List of three references with contact information
All submissions will be kept confidential and received by CIQS no later than 5:00 pm EST on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 and delivered to: firstname.lastname@example.org — Attention: Sheila Lennon, Executive Director
Questions may be directed to CIQS, Sheila Lennon, Executive Director, at 1 866 345 1168 or in writing to email@example.com.
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Release Date: 2016-07-04
Estimator (Arctic Arrow Powerline Group) Surrey, BC
Arctic Arrow Powerline Group (AAPG) is a Canadian owned and operated powerline contracting company specializing in power line distribution, transmission, and underground cable work. We are a powerline contracting company that offers exemplary construction and maintenance services in the power utility sector. AAPG has offices located in Surrey, Kelowna, Cranbrook, Sparwood, Dawson Creek, Fort St. John and Calgary, and offers services throughout many provinces across Canada. AAPG is currently looking to hire an Estimator based in our Surrey location, to support the future growth of the company. The Estimator will assist in the preparation of bids and proposals; focusing on powerline installations.
Reporting to the Proposal and Estimating Manager, the Estimator is responsible for developing cost estimates as part of proposal submissions, as well as assist in the ongoing improvement and development of the estimating systems and software. The candidate must be capable of performing all facets of a construction estimate, including determination of quantities, costing, and sub-trade participation and pricing.
A candidate who proves a good fit can expect to quickly take on more responsibilities with AAPG; as our current Chief Estimator position will become vacant in the next 2 years.
- Working with the Chief Estimator, this role is responsible for preparing and overseeing all aspects of the estimate/tender/RFP/ RFQ / RFT or other form of bid documentation
- Reviews proposal specifications and drawings to determine scope of work
- Prepares detailed estimates for all facets of the planned scope
- Maintains files of working documents as backup for estimate figures including current information on supplier pricing
- Obtains Sub Contractor pricing as required
- Obtains material & equipment rental pricing as required
- Ensures consistency and quality of estimates in reporting to operations, management and client
- Continuously upgrades/improves and enhances software used for estimating
- Accountable and responsible for accuracy and completeness of assigned estimates
- References historical costs and production to current cost estimates for continuous improvement
- Completes post bid analysis as required
- Clear and thorough understanding of how to prepare a cost estimate and quantity takeoff
- Clear and professional interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to deal effectively with all levels within different functional areas of the company as well as external customers
- Exceptional analytical, planning and organizational skills
- Proven decision making competence
- Expertise in Excel and MS office programs such as MS Project
Preference Given to Persons who are/have:
- Technical, university, or trade certificate in the Electrician, or Lineman industry; or similar post-secondary industry related education
- 5 years or more project estimating, or field management
- Over 5 years’ experience in commercial construction estimating, transmission and/or distribution power systems.
AAGP offers a competitive compensation and benefits package for the right individual. If you are ready for the next step in your career, please apply in confidence referencing to title 20160601 Estimator at: Careers@arcticarrowgroup.com, or on the Arctic Arrow Powerline Group Ltd. website; under the Career tab (www.arcticarrowgroup.com) before the June 30, 2016 closing date.
Please Note: Only those under consideration will be contacted. If you have not heard back from us, please accept our appreciation for your interest.
Release Date: 2016-05-31
Intermediate MEP Estimator (MGAC) Washington DC and Los Angeles
We are seeking Intermediate Estimators to join our growing cost and risk consulting team in Washington DC and Los Angeles to assist on a number of large scale cultural, hospitality, education, commercial and critical environments projects throughout North America. These projects present a number of exciting opportunities for individuals looking to build their careers within an integrated project and cost management consultancy working on high profile and exciting projects. Services include establishing budgets, design stage cost planning and construction phase cost management.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, AND SPECIAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
- 3-5 years cost management / estimating experience on large-scale construction projects (public/private sector).
- Experience in a top tier cost consulting/construction management preferred.
- Bachelors or higher degree in a construction related discipline.
- Demonstrated client management, communication and organization skills.
- Ability to think strategically, plan and problem solve.
- Familiarity with BIM and electronic cost estimating.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Release Date: 2016-08-12
Junior or Intermediate Quantity Surveyor (LTA Consultants Inc.) Kelowna, BC
LTA Consultants Inc. is seeking a Junior or Intermediate Quantity Surveyor to join its team at their office in Kelowna, BC.
We are looking for a motivated candidate seeking to pursue a career in Quantity Surveying. The candidate should have a post secondary diploma or degree from an Institute of Technology or University related to Building Construction, Quantity Surveying, Estimating, and Project Management.
The candidate must be willing to join the Canadian Institute of Quantity Surveyors and pursue a Professional Quantity Surveyor (PQS) designation.
A valid driver's license is a requirement for this position, along with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
We offer competitive salaries, a company benefits plan, training, and an opportunity to grow within our dynamic organization.
Please submit your resume in strictest confidence via email to: email@example.com
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Release Date: 2016-06-16
Quantity Surveyor (Joist Inc.) Toronto, ON
The majority of homeowners who undertake a home renovation will categorizes their experience as painful. Simply put, our mission at Joist is to have every homeowner in the world love their home. We do this by partnering with the best contractors and managing home improvement projects from start to finish. We aim to grow contractor businesses by reducing administration work, enabling more time to focus on craftsmanship, and making home renovation projects as effortless as possible. We build innovative solutions powered by the intersection of people and technology. We are singlehandedly redesigning the home renovation experience.
Joist is looking for an experienced Quantity Surveyor to work with our team at the project level preparing detailed estimates and setting an overall estimated budget for various Joist initiated projects. Ideally, you are an individual that can add value throughout the length of a project helping to plan costs using practical solutions.
What you'll do:
- Provide advice on construction cost and strategic planning to prospective owners, architects, engineers and public authorities.
- Prepare and submit estimates for construction and development work.
- Maintain positive Sub-Contractors/Supplier relations.
- Maintain unit price and productivity knowledge and database.
- Take part in Client meetings when required.
- Confer with Engineers, Architects and Owners on changes and adjustments to cost estimates and assist in the preparation of studies, materials methods, recommendations and costs estimates as required.
- Manage, administer and coordinate all types of construction and development projects, including contracts and sub-contracts, construction progress schedules, cost control systems, and work measurements.
- Preparation of proposals and estimates for final approval prior to their presentation to potential Clients at bid closing.
- Maintain and upgrade estimating software as required.
What you need to know/have:
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple bid workflows and tasks efficiently and concurrently.
- Ability and willingness to manage and achieve deadlines for completion of assigned tasks.
- Comfort working in a team environment.
- Knowledge of scheduling packages and ability to build accurate schedules.
- Ability to perform accurate quantity takeoffs both manually and electronically.
- Ability to maintain and upgrade estimating software as required.
- Ability to visualize end products without drawings.
- Ability to schematically design project from clients requirements.
- Able to derive alternate designs for cost and/or time savings.
- Ability to analyze risk associated to project.
- Ability to review and interpret contract documents.
- Ability to perform and excel in a fast paced and high demand environment.
- Post Secondary Construction education or equal.
- On site experience is an asset.
- Employee Stock Options Plan.
- Unlimited Vacation.
- Pet Friendly Office.
- Tea, Coffee, and Healthy Snacks.
- Regular Social Events.
- Prime Downtown Location at King & Spadina (Right above Bulk Barn).
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE AT: https://joist.workable.com/jobs/299715
Release Date: 2016-07-21
Quantity Surveyors (Muller Partnership) Australia
Muller Partnership is seeking Quantity Surveyors for each of our three offices in Australia.
Positions of varying degree of qualification are available.
Muller Partnership has been providing quality independent Quantity Surveying services to a diverse range of clients for over 18 years. We have offices in Sydney, Melbourne and Newcastle and are involved with projects ranging from A$250k to over A$1bn.
Muller Partnership’s current clients include small and large architectural, engineering and project management firms, local, state and federal governments, banks and property trusts, along with individual companies and developers looking for specialist and independent Quantity Surveying services.
All candidates should have a minimum of 3 years post graduate QS experience and either have RICS membership or have this in train.
Attractive salary packages, VISA and relocation assistance are available to suitable candidates.
Please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Release Date: 2016-07-08
Senior Estimator (Metrolinx) Toronto, ON
Metrolinx is an agency of the Government of Ontario and oversees GO Transit, PRESTO and the Union Pearson Express. Our goal is to create a transportation network that enhances the prosperity, sustainability and quality of life for the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA). As one of Greater Toronto’s Top Employers, Metrolinx is a diverse and dynamic organization where employees embody our values: Playing as a Team, Serving with Passion, and Thinking Forward. Join us as we work together to transform the way the region moves.
Our Estimating team within the Program Management Controls Group is seeking multiple Senior Estimators to analyze probable costs and develop accurate and detailed estimates through all phases of the assigned capital projects, to assist with accurate planning, tendering, and contracting. This team is critical to helping Metrolinx deliver on all projects within the Rapid Transit (RT) and Regional Express Rail (RER) Infrastructure Programs on time and on budget.
- Build, develop and maintain strong business relationships to fully understand scope packages and provide accurate estimates
- Liaise with project team members, external agencies, and consultants to obtain information required in order to develop and prepare detailed, accurate cost estimates, incorporating construction drawings and specifications, for multiple construction disciplines (mechanical, structural, electrical, utilities, operations and maintenance)
- Prepare tender comparisons, post-bid analyses and other estimating information for the project team to identify anomalies against the project plan, and communicate related issues and opportunities
- Coordinate the preparation of and perform the full complement of estimating services from detailed quantity takeoff estimates to identifying inherent risks and opportunities
- Advise on tendering procedures, participate in the creation of proposals, and analyze tenders to make recommendations for award or potential negotiation opportunities prior to an award
- Classify estimates according to project work breakdown structure; prepare cost breakdown documents and detailed quantity surveys from specifications and drawings
- Work closely with project schedulers and cost analysts to integrate cost and work breakdown structures for the accurate inclusion or exclusion of scope into project planning, scheduling, and forecasting activities
- Monitor and ensure the inclusion of necessary elements to meet Metrolinx’s high standards for compliance with health and safety and other legislative requirements
- Lead the review of estimates throughout all project phases for assigned projects
- Ongoing preparation and maintenance of current cost data
- Completion of a degree in Engineering or a related discipline – or a combination of education, training, and experience deemed equivalent
- Minimum eight years’ experience preparing estimates for large multi-million dollar construction projects, ideally for an owner/public sector agency involved in large-scale infrastructure/transit projects
- Strong experience developing, preparing and analyzing detailed estimates related to mechanical and utilities projects is required
- Experience developing, preparing and analyzing cost estimates related to Operations Maintenance would be an asset
- Related experience in preparing estimates for Alternative Finance and Procurement (AFP or P3) projects is an asset
- Experience with various procurement methods, both traditional and non-traditional (eg. AFP – Alternate Financing and Procurement)
- A Professional Quantity Surveyor (PQS) designation from CIQS or Membership of AACEi would be an asset
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills are required to liaise with various internal and external stakeholders and provide pertinent information to project teams
- Experience using MS Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) to develop and analyze financial estimates and prepare related reports; experience with data management to prepare and maintain current cost data
To apply for this position, please submit your resume online, no later than September 5, 2016 via this link: https://metrolinx.taleo.net/careersection/jobdetail.ftl?job=PRO000I&lang=en
Please note that the location for this position will move to 20 Bay Street, Toronto in November, 2016.
Please note that applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada. Accommodation will be provided throughout the hiring process, as required. Applicants must make their needs known in advance.
Please be advised, Metrolinx uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition. Please be advised that a Criminal Record Search may be required of the successful candidate. Should it be determined that any background information provided be misleading, inaccurate or incorrect, Metrolinx reserves the right to discontinue with the consideration of your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Release Date: 2016-08-10